Joining me this week is Harpreet Sahota.
Harpreet is a data scientist at the Machine Learning company, Comet. He’s also the host of a podcast called The Artists of Data Science, which has an extraordinary guest list. It’s a “who’s who” of incredibly talented authors, and is somewhat of an excuse for Harpreet to reach out to people that he admires and discuss their books with them, which I think is such a great idea.
He’s also a data science mentor for Data Science Dream Job, an interactive online course, and we talk a lot about mentorship in this episode. We explore the topic further by looking at both mentors that have helped Harpreet on his journey, and what he’s learned being a mentor for others.
What I learned is that Data Science or Data Analytics is an umbrella term for a lot of different roles and a lot of different components within the field of Data. While you may think that Data Science is not something that you may need right now – you’ll learn that the ability to interpret data and tell meaningful stories with data is actually critical to your job or your business.
In this episode, you’ll learn about:
- Data Science as an art.
- How the role of a data scientist is equal parts Engineer, Businessman, Scientist and Project Manager.
- The biggest myth about Data Science.
- The common mistakes companies make in setting up data functions.
- Who to hire first when you’re trying to build a data team.
- How to get started building a data flywheel.
Harpreet’s interests are many – he is as much a data scientist as he is a content creator, online writer, avid reader and philosopher – with all of those interests reflected in this incredibly insightful discussion.
Please sit back and enjoy my conversation with Harpreet.
- Finding balance and synchronicity: How Harpreet manages his day to day life. (00:02:40-00:05:47)
- Why is Data Science an art? (00:05:48-00:07:29)
- The spectrum of problem-solving and Harpreet’s thoughts on it. (00:07:30-00:09:47)
- Taking the systematic approach to problem solving. (00:09:48-00:12:58)
- Data Science or Data Analytics as an umbrella term for many different roles and components within the study of Data. (00:12:59-00:14:24)
- Data science as a meta skill: How the role of a Data scientist is equal parts Engineer, Businessman, Scientist and Project Manager. (00:14:25-00:15:36)
- Discovery and intellectual curiosity: We talk about how Harpreet got to where he is now and he shares the lessons he’s learned along the way. (00:15:37-00:19:32)
- Back to basics: We discuss the skills and knowledge you need to learn to be a data scientist, and Harpreet shares how he acquired them. (00:19:33-00:21:46)
- Old wisdom unlocking new doors: We talk about mentors that have helped Harpreet on his journey. (00:21:47-00:25:35)
- The power of writing as a skill in Data Science, and how significant it is. (00:25:36-00:28:38)
- The power of the podcast: How to choose content that brings value, and create consistently. (00:28:39-00:32:25)
- The effective approach when inviting guests on a show, and some valuable tips when creating podcasts. (00:32:26-00:37:30)
- Paying knowledge forward. We discuss mentorship and what Harpreet has learned by being a mentor for others. (00:37:31-00:40:53)
- The biggest myth about Data Science. (00:40:54-00:43:04)
- Common mistakes companies make when setting up data functions. (00:43:05-00:47:06)
- How to get started building a Data Flywheel. (00:47:07-00:49:41)
- Engaging the right people: Who to hire first when you’re trying to build a Data team. (00:49:42-00:51:14)
- What does a Data Engineer do? (00:51:15-00:52:32)
- Harpreet gives out a message of encouragement and support to his audience. (00:53:27-00:54:24)
- Where you can find Harpreet on social media. (00:55:26-00:56:13)
Selected Links from the Episode
- The 5am Club by Robin Sharma
- Dr. Leo Breiman’s White Paper
- Effective Data Storytelling by Brent Dykes
- Naval Ravikant
- Vin Vashishta
- Kyle McKiou
- Ali Abdaal
- Meditations on Power and Mastery podcast with Robert Greene
- James Altucher
- Annie Duke
👉 Continue the conversation with me: https://twitter.com/Bazzaruto
💌 Get my 2-week email course on creating your own online course: http://coursecreator.studio/email