“Success is just a byproduct of learning, and learning is a byproduct of curiosity.
Ultimately, if you are curious about something, you will be successful at it, and the more curious you are about it, the more successful you will be at it.”
– Naval Ravikant
This is a show about building cultures of continuous learning for companies.
In today’s episode, we’re going to do something a little different, something I haven’t done in a while on this podcast.
I’m going to tell you a story. I’m going to read from an essay that I wrote, and I’m going to tell you how I came up with the Learning Culture Lotus.
On August 12, 2019, I received a text message that turned my stomach.
“Andrew, I’m leaving.”
I founded Curious Lion to help companies develop and retain their best talent, but I couldn’t even keep my own people on board.
At the time, we were a remote team of four, and one of the remaining two had a foot out the door.
Without us all working on our projects, we’d lose clients. I was in my own version of a great resignation, which propelled me to flip everything I thought I knew about corporate learning on its head.
Our model for helping great companies learn was causing our own company to fail. Yet I still tolerated the old model.
That was about to change.
In this podcast, I’ll share how turnover at my own company led me to rethink corporate learning and help top companies like Pinterest, Bolt, and Brex completely transform how they develop their talent.
- Great performance begins with a healthy learning culture. (00:02:33-00:03:49)
- Individual curiosity is the first step in learning culture. (00:03:50-00:05:08)
- Human interaction expands learning cultures. (00:05:09-00:06:51)
- Learning cultures spread through continuous learning. (00:07:31-00:09:30)
- Learning cultures drive performance toward a company mission. (00:09:31-00:12:54)
- The VASE Framework: how to build a learning culture.
- Shared Vision. (00:12:55-00:14:07)
- Shared Assumptions. (00:14:08-00:15:30)
- Shared Stories. (00:15:31-00:16:31)
- Shared Experiences. (00:16:32-00:19:07)
Selected Links from the Episode
- The Learning Culture Lotus [from “How Great Companies Become Ultimate Learning Machines”]
👉 Continue the conversation with me on Twitter and LinkedIn.
~ This episode is brought to you by The Learning Culture Experience~