Joining me this week is Paul Butterfield.
Paul is the VP of Global Revenue Enablement for Instructure. Those of you who are regular listeners of the show, remember when we had Brett Childs from the Revenue Enablement team at Instructure? Today, we have Brett’s boss.
This was an interesting episode for me – Paul is one of the OGs of the space and is one of the original gangsters of Sales Enablement. He understands and has seen the evolution of the function.
In this episode, you will learn about:
- How he got started as an accidental practitioner in sales enablement and what he was doing well at the time to make his boss give him this role.
- What it means going from enabling a small team of people to scaling to the entire company.
- How Paul uses strategy mapping and how he learned that skill in 10 years and the role.
- The three metrics that Paul emphasizes as key measurement criteria for the success of sales enablement.
- The importance of good instructional design when delivering learning interventions for sales professionals.
- Paul’s approach to immersive onboarding.
One of the coolest things I think you’ll learn here is how you can use stories in the form of videos or internal podcasts to transfer tacit knowledge between people on the sales team. There’s so much more in this episode, and I really enjoyed picking Paul’s brain on all things sales enablement.
Please sit back and enjoy this episode with Paul Butterfield.
- Paul’s start as an accidental practitioner in sales enablement and how the role evolved over time. (00:02:42-00:05:49)
- How Paul enabled and expanded the business’s procedures and standards to the entire company. (00:05:50-00:09:27)
- Using strategy mapping, his 10-year process for mastering it, and his role in it. (00:09:28-00:18:14)
- Paul’s three metrics of key measurement criteria for the success of sales enablement. (00:18:15-00:24:24)
- How stories in the form of videos or internal podcasts can transfer tacit knowledge among sales team members. (00:25:03-00:37:35)
- Tips from Paul on how to improve a team’s business acumen. (00:37:36-00:41:46)
- What does learning culture mean to Paul? (00:41:47-00:44:32)
- What is he reading/learning about right now? (00:44:33-00:45:50)
- Why does Paul do what he does? (00:45:51-00:46:36)
- Where you can find him on social media. (00:46:37-00:47:58)
Selected Links from the Episode
~ This episode is brought to you by The Learning Culture Experience~